- Develop a consensus for measurement.
- Consider evaluation of communications
planning and implementation in addition to impacts.
- Establish agreement on the
goals and purposes of the evaluation. How will the
results be used?
- Define the research scope (broad
audit, single situation/issue or media/channel,
- Define the specific populations
to be included and how the samples are to be chosen.
- Define the objectives at each
level; preparation, implementation and impacts.
- Consider a strategic approach
to measurement, i.e., establishing baseline data
and conducting periodic tracking studies to assess
- Determine the appropriate type
of research methods for gathering your information.
- Assure that the design and
development of research instruments, such as interview
questionnaires, survey questionnaires, and focus-group
moderator guides, are done by an experienced research
- Assure that each question is
focused on a finding you are seeking and that there
is a question or set of questions which directly
address each research goal and objective.
- Determine if closed-ended questions,
open-ended questions, or a combination of the two
- Have a clear, detailed plan
for the various types of data analysis to be conducted.
- Define the type of reports
(content, segmentation, statistics, etc.) and report
formats which will be required (data tables, graphs,
written key finding summaries, executive summaries,
PowerPoint presentations, etc.).
- Develop a complete project
schedule that includes all key activities and deliverables.
- Develop a project budget that
includes at least a 10% contingency.
- Keep complete program records.
- After the research and reports
are completed, work with management/leadership to
assure that timely responses and strategic initiatives
in stakeholder communications as well as in other
relevant areas of the company's operations come
about as a result of the research.
- In a timely manner, report
a research findings summary and any resulting management
plans and initiatives to the people who participated.